top of page
real estate law

Real Estate and Mortgage Lawyers in Moncton

Our personnel are comprised of highly experienced legal professionals with years of experience. Whether you are buying or selling a home or need to refinance your mortgage, our real estate team can handle it all.


At Meredith Bateman Law Office in Riverview, we provide Real Estate and Mortgage services for the following:


• Residential properties
• Commercial properties
• Industrial properties
• Mortgages and refinancing documents


Get More Info on Real Estate & Mortgages


If I buy real estate, what does my lawyer do?

What is an Agreement of Purchase and Sale?

What will it cost?

What are the disbursements?

What are adjustments?

What insurance do I need?

What is title insurance?

What is a survey? Do I need one? Who pays for it?

If I buy real estate, what does my lawyer do?
The purchaser’s lawyer protects you throughout the transaction and makes sure that you obtain “good title” to your new property. Your lawyer searches title and prepares and registers your documents and co-ordinates the closing. Usually, the purchaser’s lawyer also represents the interests of your mortgage lender in preparing and registering the mortgage documents for the mortgage you have arranged. You and the lender will each receive a final report from your lawyer.


If you are selling, your lawyer looks after preparing documents, proceeding with the closing, ensuring any mortgage or debt on the property gets paid, and providing the remaining proceeds to yourself, and any service providers necessary connected to the property you are selling.

What is an Agreement of Purchase and Sale?


The Agreement of Purchase and Sale is the most important document you sign when buying or selling a house. It sets out all the terms the purchaser and the vendor have agreed upon for the transfer of the property.


If you have a realtor, the realtor will prepare the Agreement. The Agreement will set out the purchase price, the deposit to be paid, the closing date, the items that are to remain with the home, and any repairs that are to be made before closing. To protect the purchaser, the Agreement should also be conditional upon satisfactory property inspection and upon mortgage financing (even if you already have been pre-approved, your bank will want to confirm that your house is worth the amount of money you are borrowing). If the property is not serviced by a municipal water and sewer service, the Agreement should also be conditional upon verification of the water supply and septic system. Once both the vendor and the purchaser have agreed to all the terms, signed the Agreement, initialed all changes, and all the conditions have been met, you or your realtor must provide your lawyer with the Agreement so that your lawyer can begin preparing the required documents, including the title search if the property is not currently registered on Land Titles.


If you are not using a realtor and are proceeding with a private purchase or sale we can provide you with a blank form purchase and sale agreement to review and help you understand what needs to be addressed in that document before signing.


What will it cost?
Your lawyer should quote a block fee for professional services for all aspects of the transaction.

At Meredith Bateman Law Office, our usual legal fee for a general purchase is $1000.00, plus HST and disbursements, if on the Land Titles system, or $1200.00, plus HST and disbursements, if not on the Land Titles system.


New Brunswick has two (2) different systems for Registry for Property, the older system being Registry, and the "new" system being Land Titles. If your property is on the older Registry system, you will have larger disbursement fees on purchase to cover the cost of a title search and anything that arises from that. If your property is on the Land Title system already, a title search is not necessary and a Certificate of Registered Ownership will be issued by the province for far less than a title search will cost.


If you are selling property, fees on a sale of a home that is on Land Titles are $650.00 plus HST and disbursements. On the sale of a home that is not on Land Titles, fees are $700.00, plus HST and disbursements.


Disbursements are amounts that your solicitor needs to pay out in order to complete the transaction. Items such as obtaining a Certificate of Registered Ownership that is ordered from the province, Transfer Tax payable on a purchase, filing your Deed or Transfer, and filing your mortgage with the province so that it is registered against the house are also necessary disbursements. Filing fees for a mortgage registration and for a Deed or Transfer are currently $85.00, which is a fee payable to the province for each document registered. If you have more than one piece of property that you are buying, you will need to pay that registration fee for each PID or piece of property. These items can all affect the final closing costs on your property.



Further if you are buying property, you should be aware that you must pay Transfer Tax to the province through this office. This tax is payable on closing and forms part of the cost of closing on a purchase. Currently, Transfer Tax on the purchase of a property is at one (1%) percent of the purchase price, or the assessed value, whichever is higher. For instance, if you are buying a house for $150,000.00, then your Transfer Tax would be $1,500.00. However, if that same house is tax assessed at $200,000.00 then you would pay transfer tax on that amount at $2,000.00 even though you are buying for less. These are not fees that go to your solicitor, but are fees that are collected by your solicitor, and remitted to the province on your behalf.

What are the disbursements?
Disbursements are the various expenses over and above the lawyer’s legal fees for the work the lawyer does and which is charged to you during a real estate transaction. Your lawyer should also give you an estimate of the disbursements. “Disbursements” include the cost of a title search, government charges to register documents, land transfer tax, registry computer access fee, courier charges, photocopies, and certificates.

Land Transfer Tax in New Brunswick is an expense to keep in mind so you are not surprised. This is a tax that is paid by the purchaser for any real property in New Brunswick and, like most other disbursements, due on your closing date. The higher the purchase price the more you are going to pay in transfer tax, which could get quite expensive.

Other “unexpected” surprises a purchaser should consider in calculating funds needed to buy are oil or propane adjustments which could amount to $500.00 or more, property tax adjustments, and items like surveys (around $550.00 to $1,000.00 or more) or title insurance (around $250.00) required by your lender/mortgage company, which will add hundreds of dollars on your final amount needed to close your purchase that you may not have been expecting.

Usually your lawyer will have you bring in one certified cheque or bank draft on the day before closing payable to your lawyer’s firm “in trust” to include the lawyer’s fees and disbursements and the adjusted balance due to the vendor on closing (“Adjusted?” – see adjustments below). Those funds will be placed in the lawyer’s trust account along with the mortgage advance and will be used to close the deal. Your lawyer should provide you an exact figure before the closing date.

What are adjustments?

The final payment to the vendor is “subject to the usual adjustments.” Here are a few examples of “adjustments”:

  1. The vendor has paid the property taxes for the entire calendar year, and your purchase closes July 1 (meaning you will own the property for one-half of the calendar year that the vendor has already paid the taxes for) – you therefore owe the vendor on closing a reimbursement of one-half the year’s taxes.
  2. Your house is oil-heated; your vendor will fill the tank just before closing and add the cost of a full tank of fuel.
  3. If the vendor has not paid the property taxes for the year, these need to be paid at the time of transferring title. While you will receive a credit from the vendor on the purchase price for paying the vendor’s share of the taxes up to the date of closing, you will have to provide your lawyer with payment for the full year’s taxes at closing so he or she can in turn pay off the outstanding property tax bill. At some points in the year, the payments of outstanding property taxes for the current calendar year can be deferred (i.e. if they aren’t due yet) but that usually results in a nasty surprise in the mail when you get a bill for several thousand dollars in the mail a week or two later that you forgot was out there.


Or consider the following which is not strictly an “adjustment,” but is an additional closing cost that may be an unpleasant surprise; you have selected a high-ratio mortgage with mortgage insurance to protect the lender or CMHC fees. The lender/bank then deducts the full insurance premium from the mortgage funds before sending the balance of your mortgage funds to your lawyer to complete the purchase of your property, reducing the available money for closing and your lawyer calling you and telling you a day or so before closing (or sometimes the day of!) that you have an amount of money you need to bring in to close that is around $2,500.00 or so more than you were expecting or planning on.

What insurance do I need?
“Insurance” will arise in many forms on your purchase.
  1. Your lawyer will ask you to arrange property insurance, insuring the house against fire and other perils, and to provide proof before the closing date. Ask your Insurance Agent that you are going to use for your property insurance for a “Binder Letter” to prove that your insurance is on place as of the closing date and that the policy will show the interest of you as the owner and your mortgage lender as first mortgagee. For this you will need to provide the exact name and address of the mortgage lender. The insurance you get has to cover you against loss of the house/property for at least the amount of the mortgage you are getting so that the bank is assured of payment should the house be destroyed or damaged. The binder letter will have to show that the mortgage company/bank is the first loss payable. In other words if your house burns down, your mortgage gets paid off first before YOU get any insurance money.
  2. If you have a high-ratio mortgage, your lender will be protected against default by mortgage insurance, for which you will pay a significant premium normally deducted from the mortgage.
  3. Mortgage life insurance has obvious benefits – it may be a great relief to you or your dependants if your mortgage is repaid following your death or the death of a co-mortgagor – BUT, compare premium rates charged by your own insurance broker for ordinary term insurance before you decide whether to take the mortgage lender’s group insurance plan. You can always take out a private life insurance plan payable to your spouse or co-borrower to cover the payout of the mortgage on your property should you die and a private insurance plan may be cheaper.
  4. Finally, your lawyer will arrange title insurance, to protect you in the unlikely event that your property has a legal problem that was not disclosed by a normal title search. If you do not have a recent survey available that shows the house, buildings, easements, and driveway in the property or do not wish to acquire one, your bank will insist on you obtaining title insurance which averages around $250.00 depending on the property, mortgage amount, location, etc.

What is title insurance?
Title insurance is not a substitute for a title search, which your lawyer must perform in any event. The purpose of title insurance is to give you insurance protection for title defects that your lawyer might have missed, and for any other defects that would not normally be revealed by a title search, such as a survey problem, or a technical violation of a zoning by-law. You pay a one-time premium on closing. Title insurance is now generally REQUIRED by most lenders.

Keep in mind though that if you decide to switch mortgage companies or lenders five years down the road when your mortgage is up for renewal you will have to purchase a new title insurance policy to cover the new mortgage company/lender even though you are dealing with the same property.

What is a survey? Do I need one? Who pays for it?
In a real estate purchase, the only “survey” that counts is one signed and sealed by a New Brunswick Land Surveyor, and which shows the boundaries of your property, along with the location of the buildings, fences, and other physical features on that property. If you have retained the surveyor and paid his professional fee, then you have a claim against the surveyor for any inaccuracy. An engineer’s sketch is not a survey, nor is a copy of the subdivision plan.

Usually, the vendor’s only obligation is to give the purchaser a copy of any document in the vendor’s possession, updated by the vendor’s written declaration. For most new construction, and for fairly new resale houses, and for most properties created by severance of an existing building, there is likely some kind of survey document available that may give you helpful information if not complete legal protection. You will have to make an informed decision whether you want the additional expense of a new survey.

You may hear that a survey is unnecessary because of title insurance. This is partly true – if you have title insurance, your mortgage lender will not insist on a survey. But bear in mind that you have a higher personal and legal interest in the property than does your lender. It may benefit you to know exactly where the foundation and fences are in relation to the lot lines – before you buy the house and not after trouble arises, and you discover your garage is sitting halfway across your neighbour’s property and they now want you to move it.

Taking care of your property is made simpler with the help of Meredith Bateman Law Office. Get in touch with our office.


Visit the law office of Meredith Bateman. Get Directions
bottom of page